I’ve worked in the wine trade since May 2008. What started out as an (admittedly flippant) application to a temporary job in a large, established importer turned out to be a serendipitous first step in the industry that I love today.
Throughout my time there I threw myself into learning as much as I could about the wine world, inviting myself into routine tastings in the office, taking advantage of any winemaker visits and events to taste through the wines they were showing, and generally vacuuming up any information I could get my hands on.
Thankfully the company I worked for put me through both the WSET Level 2 (formerly ‘Intermediate’) and Level 3 (formerly ‘Advanced’) Award in Wines and Spirits, which served to formalise what I was learning day-to-day.
There came a time when I felt the need to express my thoughts on all the goings-on I was lucky enough to be experiencing, and from that The Motley Cru was born.
Luckily, I now work in a PR company representing a number of the wine and spirits brands I’ve grown to know and love over the years, as well as allowing me to interact more directly with the personalities and circumstances that make the Irish wine trade so great to be in.
Given my background and line of work, I have helped out a number of publications with their wine-related content, writing tailored and original pieces for (amongst others):
- RTÉ Guide
- EasyFood Magazine
- Food & Wine Magazine
- Hospitality Ireland
- Drinks Industry Ireland
- Service! (by Menupages.ie)
- Limerick Leader
- Sligo Now
Given that I’m working full-time in the wines & spirits industry, there are a few things to take into account:
- As they say on Twitter: “All opinions are my own”
- That means that everything on this blog has been written of my own volition
- Obviously I am exposed more to the brands I work with, which in turn will result in more posts about them, but in no way will I allow professional interests result in adversely positive or negative pieces
- I’m not being paid to promote certain brands on this site, and at all times will try to keep my opinions as balanced as possible
- That also means that I will not write disparagingly about competitors for professional gain either
- So if you haven’t guessed it by now, everything on The Motley Cru is as objective and unbiased as I can make it
Thanks for Reading
Please, please, please don’t be shy to comment, email, share, tweet, and generally get involved!